How to "secure" a Shared Google Drive Folder or File
There are times when you may want to create a shared folder or document that is more secure and cannot be re-shared by any of the collaborators. The instructions below show how to restrict sharing of a Google Drive folder or file.
1. Go to "My Drive"
First, make sure you are in your own personal drive of Google Drive i.e. "My Drive"
2. Create New Folder (optional)
Next, create a new folder in your "My Drive". If the folder you want to share already exists, then ignore this step and step 3 below.
3. Name the New Folder
Next, give your new folder an appropriate name (e.g. Year 7 Teachers, Exec Team, etc.)
4. Select the Folder in Google Drive
Next, find the new or exisitng folder (or file) that you want to share in Google Drive and click on it so that it is selected (it will be highlited in blue as shown above when selected).
5. Click on the Share Button
With the folder selected, click on the Sharing button in Google Drive.
6. Add People the Folder/File is to be Shared with
Next, enter the names or email addresses of the individuals or email groups you want to share the document with.
Note that if you share with an email group rather than individuals, you will have less control of who it is shared with as the email groups are updated by ICT as they change. This may be desirable in some cases though as it ensures the document is only shared with the people in the group, if it is a group that changes periodically (e.g. "Admin Department", "ICT Committee", "OHS Committee")
7. Advanced Share Settings
Click the "Advanced" link in the lower left hand corner of the share settings to bring up advanced settings to enable more restrictions on the file or folder.
8. Change the Sharing Settings
Next, select either or both of the additional "Owner settings" to restrict what can be done to or with the file being shared by the individuals you are sharing the document with.
- The "Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people" option will prevent the document from being re-shared by anyone you have given editing access to.
- The "Disable options to download, print, and copy for commenters and viewers" option will restrict those with comment and viewing access to only be able to view or comment on the file directly on the computer. They will not be able to forward, print, download, or copy the file withing Google Drive. Note that it would still be possible for them to take a screenshot of the file or to re-type the document offline if they chose to do so.
9. Restrict the Folder/File Access Settings
Next, on the main sharing screen, click the "Change" link below the "Who has access" section.
10. Turn Link Sharing to "Off"
Next, ensure that the Link Sharing settings are turned to "Off - Specific people". This will prevent the link being re-shared with anyone else.